The World Heart Day was celebrated in Brunei on Sunday 16 October 2011. A gathering of over 300 participants took part in this august occasion, held at the parking lot of the Health Promotion Centre in Bandar Seri Begawan.
Rising early to beat the heat of the day, a mass aerobics exercise was held for 20 minutes. This was followed by a tour-de-parc du Jastre (Jabatan Alam Sekitar Taman dan Rekreasi Park) walkaton by the attendees. A very good start for a healthy heart.
Meanwhile, in the main Health Promotion Centre building were winners of the World Heart Day Art Competition, awaiting to receive prizes. The competition was held on Friday 14 October at the same venue. On this day, a gallery of winning posters was displayed. This was to be proud moments for all winning participants. There were two categories, Children up to 11 years old, and Children 12 to 17 years old.
In attendance also were winners from 2010 International Chinese Heart Health Network (ICHHN) art competition.
Children taking part in 2011 World Health Day Art Competition created their masterpieces on the Theme, “One World, One Home, One Heart.” The following are the winning entries.
On hand to present the awards was the Honorable Dato Paduka Hj Abd Salam Bin Hj Abd Momin, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Health. He was accompanied by Dr Hj Nazar Luqman, Head of Cardiology, RIPAS Hospital and Dr Peter Tay, CEO of Gleneagles-Jerudong Park Medical Centre. Both the Ministry of Health and Jerudong Park Medical Centre were co-organizing committee for Brunei’s World Heart Day celebrations.
Felicitations to all the winners.
2010 International Chinese Heart Health Network (ICHHN) Winners:
1. Yeo Yeo (Junior Champion, St. Andrew’s School, BSB)
2. Tan Shin Ying (Senior Champion, S.M. Sayyidina Ali, Kuala Belait)
2011 Brunei World Heart Day Art Competition
Junior Division (Children Below 12 years)
1. Andrea Lee (St. Margaret’s School, Seria)
2. Wynona Curaming (Seri Mulia Sarjana International School, BSB)
3. Yeo Yeo (St. Andrew’s School, BSB)
4. Noor Mohammad Khairullah Bin Salim (S.R. Dato Marshal, BSB)
5. Mek Shuet Yi (Chung Ching Middle School, Seria)
Senior Division (Children 12 to 17 years)
1. Maryline E. O’Martin (St George’s School, BSB)
2. Tok Sheng Sung (Chung Ching Middle School, Seria)
3. Eugenia Er (Chung Hua Middle School, Kuala Belait)
4. Alvin Yong (Maktab Sains, BSB)
5. Ann Dominique Dy (St. George’s School, BSB)
Photos of the winners’ creative masterpieces are found on my Facebook Album Page.